What I Saw in Sydney: A Photo Essay

a day in photos, Sydney

If you don’t live in Sydney, the pictures in your imagination may be exclusively of the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, and Bondi Beach. Certainly those are iconic, but there is so much more to this city of 5 million people and over 600 suburbs. I try to show you my Sydney in these pages, but I thought for a change, I’d get some other perspectives. So, I asked my friends and fellow bloggers to share with me one glimpse of their Sydney, all taken on one day – Friday the 24th of April.

It was just the second day of sunshine after a massive three-day storm ravaged Sydney and surrounds, so while things were returning to business as usual by Friday, there was still an aura of change and repair. The morning was glorious and sunny, though a blanket of dark clouds rolled in later in the afternoon. The next day would be Anzac Day, one of Australia’s dearest holidays.

To set the mood, here’s what it looked like (and I daresay felt like) at the beginning of the week.

Kaat

Submitted by: Kaat
Originally from: Gent, Belgium
Lived in Sydney: 5-1/2 years
Photo Location: Willoughby
Note: TV tower, just after the storm cleared.

And now, onto Friday morning, beginning with an image of the morning commute:

SamanthaSubmitted by: Samantha
Originally from: Reed City, Michigan
Lived in Sydney: 5 years
Photo Location: Central Station
NoteWaiting for my train. Morning commute.
Read Samantha’s blog at Sydney Smiles.

Some of us look at metal, sandstone, buildings, and signs when we go to work:

Gina

Submitted by: Gina
Originally from: New Jersey
Lived in Sydney: 4 years
Photo Location: Sydney CBD
Note: This is why I love this city. Tucked away behind the skyscrapers, you get an amazing bit of heritage.

Karina

Submitted by: Karina
Originally from: Sydney
Photo Location: Gaol (Jail, for my American readers) entrance, Sydney
Note: On Fridays I put my employee hat on. Although working in this place can be just as demanding as home!
Read Karina’s blog at The Laney Files

And, some are lucky enough to get to glimpse majestic views during the workday:

Jackie

Submitted by: Jackie
Originally from: New Hampshire
Lived in Sydney: 2 years
Photo Location: Rose Bay
Note: From an on-site meeting.
Read Jackie’s blog at Granite House on the Hill

TracySubmitted by:Tracy
Originally from: Palm Dessert, California
Lived in Sydney: 8 years
Photo Location: Sydney Superyacht Marina, Rozelle
NoteThe Google boat is in town! Dragonfly, one of the world’s largest superyachts.

But, as great as our water views are, at least one of my friends has the best view of all from her (undoubtedly very long) workday.KatieSubmitted by: Katie
Photo Location: Waverton
Note: No scenery can compare!

People were doing their best to enjoy a bit of our newly re-discovered sunshine.RaniSubmitted by: Rani
Originally from: London, England
Lived in Sydney: 12 years
Photo Location: The Rocks Markets
Note: I was walking around at lunch time appreciating the sun after the storms.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASubmitted by: Me!
Originally from: Atlanta, Georgia
Lived in Sydney: 5 years
Photo Location: North Curl Curl Beach
Note: Partner-in-Crime, Hushpuppy, and I took a little trip out to the beach. This hill was covered in vegetation when we were here just a week ago, prior to the storm.

PICSubmitted by: Partner-in-Crime
Originally from: Serbia
Lived in Sydney: 5 years
Photo Location: North Curl Curl Beach
Note: P-i-C’s perspective on our beach trip, as the afternoon clouds moved in.

And, hey, some of us just really needed to catch up on grocery shopping after the storm.

Ivan

Submitted by: Ivan
Originally from: Sydney
Photo Location: Kingsgrove
Note: Woolworths

As the day wound down, the clouds helped to showcase one of Sydney’s glorious sunsets.

Anja

Submitted by: Anja
Originally from: Denmark
Lived in Sydney: 2 years
Location: Mosman
Note: The sun has this baby blue and light pink shade. It’s so pretty. Plus, the sun has a golden glow. I will never get tired of it.

As the sun faded, thoughts began to turn to the next day’s remembrances and ceremonies.

NanaSubmitted by: Nana
Originally from: Sydney
Photo Location: Sydney Harbour
Note: Anzac soldier projected onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge

These are just a few glimpses into a moment from one day in Sydney. All of the photos are from the city of Sydney or its surrounding suburbs (neighborhoods). Like any city, there are at least as many stories here as there are people, and an endless number of images on any given day. We work, we play, we raise our babies, do the errands, and, hopefully, take a few moments to appreciate the beauty of this bustling, multicultural city on the water.

12 thoughts on “What I Saw in Sydney: A Photo Essay

1. Cristin Post author

Thanks, Lyn! Yes, I was hoping to show something beyond the postcard images – so much more to this city.

1. Yvette

Cristin, this really captured parts of the city people probably don’t see … even as tourists. It was nice to see everyone’s perspective. So glad you put this together.

1. Cristin Post author

Thanks so much! And, I know, right? I’ve never been through a storm that just went on and on for days like that one. It was wild.

Comments are closed.