My fourth expat anniversary is coming right up, and as a precursor, I’ve been jotting down some of the things I thought when I first moved here, as well as the common themes that come up in the many conversations I’ve had with my American expat friends.
Here are some of the reactions that almost every American expat in Australia I’ve met has had. I hope some of them give my fellow Yanks Down Under, and also my Aussie friends, a bit of fun. For me, most of these thoughts are a distant memory now. Most of them … I’ll leave you to wonder which is which!
1. I don’t KNOW?! I just want a cup of coffee!
2. They call them … prawns? Wait a minute, that means … there’s no “throw a shrimp on the barbie…”
3. A roundabout? OK. Don’t panic…
5. I’ll just order a Fosters. That’s Australian for beer, right?
6. They have Target!!!! Oh … never mind.
7. I wonder what that is in Farenheit/miles/gallons.
8. It costs HOW MUCH?!?
9. That’s PER WEEK?!?
10. Where’s the slot to pay at the pump?
11. Is that a … nude beach?
12. Where’s the closet?
13. Where’s the air conditioner?
14. It is FREEZING in this apartment.
15. That’s not bacon.
16. Where are all the good cereals?
17. I thought I was a size 12.
18. Haych. … Zed. …
19. How can this store be closing? It’s only 5p.m.
20. I wonder if anyone just saw me get in on the passenger side.
21. Why is there barbecue sauce on my burger?
22. Why is there arugula on my pizza?
23. …it’s called rocket?
24. How do I go about getting some ice in this glass?
25. We’re drinking. At work!
Americans in Australia, tell me yours.
And, if you’re an Australian living in America, how about the other way around?